Friday, August 02, 2013

Tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis

A lot of things have changed around here since I last wrote a blog post.

We still live in the same house (despite having planned to move sometime before the Peanut's birth). We are still married; we still have guinea pigs; I still knit a lot and watch Doctor Who...

However, since January 2012 we have packed in a good few of those Big Life Events. My brother got married; my grandmother sadly died; I finally decided to leave my job; the Peanut learned to walk and also to talk a bit, and... we had another baby! I remember saying airily at the start of 2012 that I would quite like to try for a second child maybe in September.

Ha. I do not know my own mind sometimes. For reasons which seemed clearer at the time, we actually started trying in May and as seems to be the way with us, we succeeded pretty much on the first go. So we had a daughter in March of this year, and she's now four and a half months old, and very cute. And also the biggest baby we know. The Peanut really seems to like her, which is very sweet. He rocks her and brings her toys.
This is the life

I have felt a bit rubbish lately about the extent to which I am not documenting my children's early lives, mostly because I know I'll want to look back on these days, and you do forget things. I keep trying to remember what age the Peanut was when he reached certain developmental stages (like being able to sit up) and if I didn't make a note of it, then I no longer know. So I'm giving blogging another go. I keep finding myself writing blog posts in my head, and not getting to the point of actually putting fingers to keyboard, but this is silly.

I also feel that maybe my life will develop more of a structure if I'm writing about it. Does that sound odd? What I mean is that at the moment, life tends to scroll on from week to week without much of a narrative. Monday is Toy Library and Tuesday is Rhyme Time at the library and Wednesday is "catching up with household tasks" day and on Thursday we often see my parents or we might be preparing either to visit J's parents or have them visit us, and if we're at home Friday is Toddler Group, and Saturday is another catching-up day and Sunday is church and family day and then we do it all again. I do sometimes manage to achieve things in the gaps in between but it doesn't always feel like it.
 He's being watched
There are a few projects I'm working on, such as passing my driving test and (eventually) job hunting, but both of these have to wait a little while until my little girl (she needs a nom de blog...) starts to take solid food and entertain herself a bit. Right now, she and her brother are kind of occupying me most of the time. As I remember very well from last time, while breastfeeding isn't the same as sitting around idly, it sort of feels like it.

(Cross-posted to my Livejournal, mostly to see if anyone still reads those.)

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Thanks to the joy of my blog feeder thingy, I am still here! Your children are lovely and I don't believe for a minute that you aren't busy for all but a few hours of each day with those two to keep up with! I also sort of slid out of blogging and am now convinced that no-one would be interested in hearing about how my kitchen still isn't quite finished or our new long case clock......!

Thimbleanna said...

How wonderful to return from vacation and find that you have posted! Indeed, you've had a big year. The babies are SO adorable -- and growing quickly. Enjoy every minute -- I'm sure you hear that a lot LOL!