Tuesday, January 10, 2012

2011 roundup!

I have been a terrible, terrible blogger recently, mostly because while I can read blogs on my laptop while feeding Nick, it's sort of hard to type anything more than a few words. So here is a summary of the last year in Q&A form, ganked from Shauna (although I am sure I've done it before, in fact).

1. What did you do this year that you’d never done before?

The most important one: having a baby! Also changing nappies (and so on).

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?

I don't think I had any last year, other than "don't fall over on the ice". Which I didn't.

This year I am feeling quite resolution-y. Among other things, I want to sort out what I'm doing with my career and do some writing. I also want to keep in touch with people better (yes, I know everyone resolves to do that all the time...)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

I did myself, and so (obviously) did people I'd met through ante-natal classes, but nobody else I have met in person. A bunch of longstanding internet acquaintances did, though.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

My great-aunt died in late spring.

5. What countries did you visit?

Sadly, this was another year when I never left the UK - so just Scotland and England. Didn't even make it to Wales this time.

6. What would you like to have next year that you lacked in this one?

A proper plan for the next five-ish years, including a plan for moving house. Ideally, I'd like to be pregnant again in another nine months or so.

7. What dates from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

17 July, when the Peanut finally made his appearance.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Probably getting breastfeeding to work (are you tired of me going on about baby stuff yet?) Also making the Peanut's baby quilt.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Despite my best intentions, ending up having to work late at the office far too much. Not going to bed early enough.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Not really - I had a bit of ligament trouble while I was pregnant, but on the whole I was ridiculously healthy. I put my back out on the 30th of December, which was pretty painful, but it's all better now.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

The Moby wrap - it has made getting out and about with the baby much easier!

12. Where did most of your money go?

Paying off the mortgage (hooray!), my student loan (double hooray!) and I probably bought a fair number of books. And some baby stuff, of course.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

The Peanut. Cryoburn, the new(est) Lois McMaster Bujold. The Doctor Who convention next March.

14. What song will always remind you of this year?

Close To You (I sing it to the baby!) and a bunch of nursery rhymes, probably.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?


Happier! Last year I was quite stressed, mostly because I was afraid that something would go wrong with the pregnancy. But the baby's here, he's healthy and I love him so much. And I'm really enjoying being on maternity leave.

b) thinner or fatter?

Bizarrely, even if you correct for the fact that I was three months pregnant, I'm thinner. After giving birth, I was half a stone below my pre-pregnancy weight, and I'm also down a jeans size. I did nothing to achieve this, so I don't really count it as an achievement, but I'm pleased, especially as I was expecting the opposite.

My shoulders are also more toned than they have been in years, from carrying the Peanut around.

c) richer or poorer?

Poorer as regards income (maternity pay) but with fewer outgoings too, since I'm not at work and we no longer have mortgage payments.

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Pre-baby: I wish I'd had time to have a more chilled-out pregnancy and do things like yoga and going swimming. Next time round (assuming all goes to plan) I'll have a toddler, so I never will get to do all that.

Post-baby: no regrets, really!

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Worrying and working late.

18. How did you spend Christmas?

With my lovely in-laws. We had a very pleasant family Christmas, aided by the Peanut being cute and smiley.

19. Did you fall in love this year?

What do you think?

Cuddle

I love both my boys.

20. What was your favorite TV programme?

Doctor Who, but I certainly watched more of Battlestar Galactica than anything else, since I was given the box set to occupy me while breastfeeding at 6am - thank you L and A!

21. What was the best book you read?

Tricky. Honourable mentions to Connie Willis's Blackout and All Clear, and Cryoburn. I also loved The Hare With Amber Eyes.

22. What was your favourite film of this year?

The only one I saw at the cinema was Les Aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec, which was fun but very silly. We signed up for Lovefilm, so have seen more films than usual: I also really enjoyed Inception and (500) Days of Summer.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I was 32. I went for a celebratory coffee at the Rocket cafe with Mum and the Peanut, then a wee look around the shops in Morningside. Rock'n'roll. (It was very pleasant.)

24. What kept you sane?

My lovely husband (especially during moments of pregnancy stress, and early labour). Books. Battlestar Galactica. Knitting. Rubbing my face on the Peanut's little downy head.

25. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Pirate Amy Pond. (I don't really go in for crushes...)

26. Who did you miss?

My sister and brother, as always. I've seen my brother more often recently than I used to - which is lovely! My in-laws (although we've seen them often too).

7 comments:

Rosemary Riveter said...

Big congratulations on paying off the mortgage, that's no mean feat! 2011 sounds like mostly a banner year for you.

Thimbleanna said...

What fun to see you posting again! You had a banner year - Love that photo of your boys!

old_black said...

It's lovely to hear more of your story first-hand, instead of just reading about your life from someone else's perspective!

ariandalen said...

YAY! Somebody that had a good year! :)

That is a wonderful photo; so much joy!

Pam said...

Goodness, a new post. Hello! What a lovely picture of your boys.

Anonymous said...

Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article

Daddy Kham said...

Awesome! Handsome boy.

Learn how to make money online on myearlyview. Check it out @
http://myearlyview.blogspot.com.ng/2017/09/how-to-make-money-online-in-nigeria-and9s.html?m=1