Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Frosty morning

Frosty morning

This was the view from my bedroom window this morning - the first frost of the year. It was pretty chilly when I ventured out to go to the supermarket.

Although I feel slightly cheated if it's cold and rainy in summer, I never mind the cold in autumn or winter. To every thing there is a season, and all that. I would rather deal with cold weather than hot weather, because I find it much easier to warm up than cool down.

Besides, I prefer winter clothes to summer clothes any day. There's something satisfying about getting out the flannel pyjamas and long socks and woolly scarves and hats. I like to be prepared for all eventualities, though it must be said that our winters aren't really very harsh in southern Scotland. I might feel differently if I had to struggle through feet of snow.

Even without severe cold, though, the onset of autumn is a good excuse to do a bit of nesting at home, and to wrap up and go for brisk walks.

And to contemplate knitting woolly socks.

Loot from Woolfest

3 comments:

Thimbleanna said...

Ahhh, you're my kind of girl! I'm just like you -- I'd much rather be cool and then warm up than the other way around. So many people we know move south as they get older, but I just know I'd miss fall and winter too much. Can't wait to see those beautiful yarns turned into socks!!!

Rachel said...

As you know, I'm definitely a summer girl. That said there is something beautiful about the first frost. We're still waiting for it in Cambridge. Nearly there judging by this morning though!

Loth said...

Yup, we are northern european to the core! If I had to choose weather for a morning, I would pick cold, frosty and clear. Bliss.